Our homes are defined by our sense of taste, lifestyle and even our moods. The energy that we receive from our surroundings can help us feel positive or negative. In a home it is very essential to maintain positive energy to enjoy a happy and healthy life. Positive spiritual vibrations can have a constructive effect on our health, finances, relationships and overall mental well-being. This can be achieved by following some basic tenets from the Vedic science of Vaastushastra. This ancient science is based on energies and their influence on a person and his place of residence or business. Vaastu pertains to the physical, psychological and spiritual order of the built environment, in consonance with the cosmic energies.
The energies that affect a home include solar energy, lunar energy, wind energy, magnetic energy, light energy and the personal energy of the resident. These energies combine to create the positive spiritual frequencies in the home. Alignment of the house in relation to the directions plays a very important role in the science of Vaastu. Frequencies that flow through the house depend on the interaction of these factors. A misalignment can cause negative frequencies that may result in ill-health or psychological problems. The spiritual vibrations of a premise depend on the following factors:
- Material used in construction e.g. stone and mud have a greater potential to attract positive frequencies than cement.
- The directions which the main door, kitchen door and toilet door etc. face.
- The purpose of the premise e.g. a house, commercial complex, shopping mall, temple etc.
If at any time you feel that the energy in a home isn’t as pure as you would wish it to be, then there are some simple remedies that one can cleanse the home before resorting to expensive structural changes. Some suggestions are
- Burn incense during the morning and evenings
- Meditate to help positive energy flow through you and around you
- Ensure that there are no mirrors in the bedrooms that are directly facing the bed. These are considered to be energy drains.
- While sleeping keep your head in the south or west direction
- Keep east and north facing windows open during the daytime and the others shut
- Ensure the house is well aired and has sufficient natural light during the day
- Hand metal bells at your entrance
To summarise it all, Vaastushastra gives useful advice on the choice of land and the architecture for a pleasant home. However, it is important to understand that the nature of the residents and their activities carry more importance.